Wednesday 24 July 2013

Five Questions With... Squared Circle Cafe

After last week's interview with British wrestler Will Jackson, it's time for our first ever multi person interview as we speak to the entire of Squared Circle Cafe.




Name: Daria
Age: 37
Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts, USA but reside in Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
Known For: Former wrestler, wrestling blogger for a former site Wrestling News Arena, and founder and hostess of the Squared Circle Cafe.

Name: Jeremy Moses
Age: 27
Hometown: Florence, Kentucky, USA by way of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Known For: Other than the show, vlogging on YouTube. I wouldn't consider myself famous in any sense of the word, though for what it is worth I have appeared on local television news in my hometown multiple times.

Name: Jaycee
Age: 30…ish
Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Known For: Co-Host, Squared Circle Cafe



1. When did you first get into wrestling and what was the drew you to the sport?


Daria:

 As a kid, you're flipping through the channels, trying to find something to watch, and I stumbled across what was then known as WWF Wrestling. It immediately caught my attention and I tried to watch it as much as I can. My uncle took me to my first house show when I was a kid and I was hooked ever since. What drew me was the action in the ring, the promos, the vignettes, everything about it was spectacular. What really stuck out for me was the commentary, particularly Bobby Heenan and Gorrilla Monsoon. That's what I wanted to do.



Jeremy:

1997, during the heyday of WCW. I fell into it on a Monday night because I was 12 years old, bored out of my mind, and had just gotten my own room with my own television. And of course, my schoolwork was done.



Jaycee: I became a wrestling fan a little later than most folks. It was in 1994. I was around 18 at the time. What sparked my interest was a video game called WWF Royal Rumble for the old Sega Genesis console. My friend D and I would play that game religiously. That got us interested in the characters, that snowballed into buying the magazines, then watching Monday Night Raw, watching old wrestling matches, etc. It didn’t take us long to become WWF fans. It was kind of funny how I first became a WWF fan though I was going to school in Atlanta, which is the former HQ of WCW.



2. Tell us a little about the Squared Circle Cafe and how that came about?


Daria: 

I used to write on a message board, but wanted to try reaching a greater audience. I saw a news site, the now-defunct Wrestling News Arena, was looking for bloggers, so I applied for a job. I was hired and brought in for a column called, "Enter My Mind." It received a lot of attention, as I wrote about the world of wrestling from a female POV. I still felt I wanted to say more. I had seen how some wrestlers and other wrestling sites had podcasts, so I thought, "I can do that." I always love to talk wrestling and saw this as an opportunity to say more than what I was writing on WNA. It started out as a 15 minute show on Blog Talk Radio, but after a few months, it stretched to 30 minutes. My two best friends, Jaycee and Jeremy, who are also huge wrestling fans join me almost every week and we just have fun talking wrestling. It grew to two hours as of last year, where we now have special guests on from the wrestling world on for interviews.

Jeremy: 

Well, I'm sure Daria already gave you the history behind the actual show, so I'll go into how I came to be on the show. I joined in shortly after it began, and just kinda settled into a routine. Of course, having a girlfriend, then a fiancee for all of 11 months made my appearances somewhat sporadic in 2012, but hey, some things gotta come first (if you smell what I'm cookin'). Other than that, it just was a natural fit for me, talking wrestling with fellow fans and I still enjoy doing it when I am not busy and am healthy enough to focus. I actually came up with one of our slogans, and it holds true: We're a weekly show FOR wrestling fans, BY wrestling fans.

Jaycee:

Our show’s tag line is “For Wrestling Fans. By Wrestling Fans”.  It’s a group of friends having an open discussion on our favorite thing, which is wrestling, and we invite others to join in. This beautiful creation started with Daria. I remember her telling me that she was starting a pod cast and to check it out. I came in about the 2nd or 3rd show. I was listening to the show and the next thing I know, I’m on the air! She later asked me to become a part of the show. I said sure and here we are.

3. How much wrestling do you get to watch each week and what's your favourite shows to watch at the moment?


Daria:

 Oh man, when am I not watching wrestling? RAW, SmackDown, The Main Event, Saturday Morning Slam(when it was on and will when it comes back), Ring of Honor, whatever clips I can find on YouTube. However, I will admit I've been having a hard time watching TNA. It's not appealing to me as much as it used to be. I also try to go to a few indy shows here in the area, with a few of my good friends very close to being signed to major companies.



Jeremy:

In my town, we are able to consume 9 hours per week most weeks (6 hours WWE programming, 2 hours TNA, 1 hour Ring of Honor on local Sinclair Broadcast Group stations). I would say that out of that, I might get through 8 hours average before each broadcast of the Cafe -- life just gets in my way sometimes, though I do record them. As for favourite show, WWE Smackdown takes it for me at this moment in time. Less nonsense than on those 3 hour Raw’s and more wrestling. Ring of Honor and TNA are tied for a close 2nd, but only because I grew up with the NWO storyline, and I’m not a fan of many rehashes of it. The New World Order was cutting edge...in 1997. Now? It’s been done to death. Sorry, got on a bit of a rant there.



Jaycee: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and the occasional Sunday for a PPV. I’ll even DVR a show even if I’m attending it in person. What can I say? Can’t break that WWE habit.  But I am trying to broaden my wrestling horizons. I try to watch Impact Wrestling every Thursday and catch some ROH shows on YouTube. I’m hoping at some point one of the local stations will decide to carry ROH shows. My favorite wrestling show to watch right now? I’ll have to say it’s a toss up between Main Event and NXT.



4. What are your Top Three matches of all time?


Daria:

Gee, you had to narrow it to three, didn't you? This was tough, considering there are so many matches I can watch over and over. But, for this list, I'll put two from the past and one from recently.

1. Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker, Wrestlemania 26: Although I loved the match from the previous year, this match was incredibly emotional, which made it even more intense. The Streak versus the Career. With HBK being my all-time favorite wrestler, with The Undertaker being a close second, this was a match that had me glued to my seat and to the screen. In the end, I was in tears, seeing Shawn leave, but also relieved the Streak remained.

2. The Ultimate Warrior vs. Ravishing Rick Rude, SummerSlam 89: OK, this match is a bit odd to list, but it was on the very first PPV I was allowed to watch. I loved the Warrior and saw the whole saga of how he lost the Intercontinetal Championship and wanted to see him get it back. Bobby Heenan is also my favorite manager, so it was cool to see him at ringside, cheering Rude. And with the pop-up appearance of Rowdy Roddy Piper, which helped Warrior regain the belt made this a match I will never forget.

3. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart, Wrestlemania XII, Iron Man Match: Two of the best of all time in the same ring for sixty minutes headlining Wrestlemania? Of course this was a match I had to see! And when it went into overtime, I knew Shawn was going to get his dream. I was never more excited to see a guy win a title than I was for HBK.



Jeremy:

For me, it comes to these:
a) CM Punk vs John Cena, MITB 2011 -- That crowd made that match, but Punk and Cena told an awesome story.
b) Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 25 -- Just epic technical wrestling.
c) Michaels vs Flair, Wrestlemania 24 -- Again, sound technical wrestling and a great in-match story.



Jaycee: Just three? Ha, you’re making this hard! Ok, well my fist pick has to be the Terri Invitational Ladder Match between the Hardy Boyz and Edge and Christian at No Mercy in 1999. The second one is at Wrestlemania 2000- The triangle ladder match for the WWF Tag Team titles between the Hardy Boyz, The Dudley Boyz and Edge and Christian. And finally, Night of Champions in 2009, Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship.




5. Where can our readers find your work and what have you got coming up?


Daria: 

We are on BlogTalkRadio.com every Saturday night, 6:30PM to 8:30PM EST, unless we have a special guest who requires another evening to be on the show. The weekend of June 22nd, 2013, I will be attending one of New England's biggest wrestling events, the NE Fan Fest, where you can meet many former and current wrestling stars from all over. You can follow us on Twitter, @squaredcafe, like us on Facebook, and we have a Tumblr page,squaredcirclecafe.tumblr.com. We will have more wrestling guests on in the future, so be sure to check the sites for any future announcements!

Jeremy: 

I can be reached on twitter: @JeremyMoses26 plus I vlog about life and news stories that pique my interest over at YouTube.com/JMos22. I am actually currently on medical leave from the show and haven't done much vlogging lately, but hope to return shortly after July 4 – just have to put my health first!

Jaycee: 

Well you can listen to Squared Circle CafĂ© every Saturday evening on BlogTalkRadio.com from  6:30pm to 8:30pm EST- http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dariachick

We’re also on Twitter- @SquaredCafe

We have a blog on Tumblr- http://squaredcirclecafe.tumblr.com/


And any questions/comments/concerns/vents can be sent to our show’s email address at squaredcirclecafe@gmail.com


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'd like to thank you, Daria, Jeremy and Jaycee for giving us this fantastic interview.

Next week: Scottish Wrestling Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment