Tuesday 31 March 2015

A Woolworths somewhere in Cornwall

Do you have a place in your heart for a show for reasons other than the wrestling on the show? Maybe it coincided with a special time in your life or remind you of a certain someone. A show that you keep going back to time and time again?

Yeah me too.

What show I hear you ask? Only the 2007 Royal Rumble. 




On viewing there's nothing that particularly makes this show stand out and would make me choose it over any other show I've seen. But the Royal Rumble 2007 just happened to reignite my love of wrestling.

Now, that isn't to say that fire ever really went away, but I just had no access to wrestling. As soon as WCW Worldwide disappeared off Channel 5 and WWF Heat left Channel 4, I was left with no real way to get my wrestling fix. So I didn't. And eventually I stopped thinking about wrestling and moved on with life.

A few years later I remember sporadically checking the WWE website to see what was going on and got a buzz of playing Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain. But that was it. I didn't know enough to find wrestling shows online, I was such a muggle back then. 

But then...then it happened. On a family holiday to Cornwall, me and my younger brother, Davey Swaggs, were allowing to choose one DVD from the Woolworths to keep us entertained in case it rained (of course it was going to rain) and there on the self was the Royal Rumble 2007. There was no doubt about what we were going to buy, Davey Swaggs agreed it was time watch the wrestling.

I'm pretty sure we watched the show, at least, five times over the holiday. Every step off Bobby Lashley and Test's ECW Championship match is permanently burnt into my retina. We watched it so much that our Mother, Swaggetty Ange, was forced to buy us WrestleMania 23, as well, just so we would put something else on.

And from there they say, the rest is history. I am now the fountain of knowledge you know and love today, on the verge of completing the ridiculous 24 article in 24 hour challenge. All because of the Royal Rumble 2007 on DVD found in a Woolworths, some where in Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment