Wednesday 15 January 2014

Five Questions With...OSWtv's Billy Strachan

Five Questions With... makes it's triumphant return with the first interview of 2014. As last year we'll be bringing you a great mixture of interviews with everyone from the world of wrestling. Kicking us of in 2014 is OSWtv's Billy Strachan! Enjoy!



Name: Billy Strachan
Age: 23
Hometown: Elgin, Moray, Scotland
Known For: Ask Billy and OSWtv on YouTube

1. When did you first get into wrestling and what was the drew you to the sport?

My friend was a wrestling fan and I went over to his house and The Undertaker vs Kane inferno match was on and I was hooked straight away. After a few nightmares of Kane and Undertaker coming to take my soul (I was 8/9 at the time) I watched more videos at his and then found WWF Heat on Channel 4 and every Sunday I'd sit down in my bedroom and watch Heat, then tape the events like Royal Rumble 2000 on Channel 4. When my folks got On Digital I got to watch Smackdown, Metal, WCW Worldwide and very occasionally RAW is WAR. I loved everything about it the shows, the action, the characters and the storylines.



2. Tell us a little about OSWtv and how that came about?

- OSWtv really started from my original YouTube show Ask Billy where I would answer questions from the Old School Wrestling community from bebo then Facebook (facebook.com/OSWChatV), A couple guys from the page had made a one off show talking about wrestling and I thought it was a great idea. After a 30 minute pilot talking about WWE, TNA and SWE I realised that no-one had a YouTube show specifically talking about Scottish wrestling. I'd been keeping up to date with Scottish wrestling and attending several events over that last year from SWE, Wrestlezone and W3L and just ran with it. The first proper show in June got over 200 views so convinced me that this was something people wanted to see. That in turn made me create the Facebook page (facebook.com/OSWtv) where I would share announcements, results, events, pages and articles about Scottish wrestling.




3. Who do you see as the next breakout star of Scottish Wrestling and is there anyone on the scene who could possibly take the next step to a international promotion? 

I could talk about who should be an international star from Scottish wrestling for hours. The scene is bursting with talent. Especially the women with the likes of Viper, Kay Lee Ray, Bete Noire and Nikki Storm tearing it up in all over the UK. In terms of the guys I'd love to see Jackie Polo on an international stage, he just has 'it' and he'll be going to Japan next year so they will be in for a treat. Breakout stars? I'd say Joe Hendry for sure, if you haven't seen IC Double Me and You on YouTube it is amazing, he oozes charisma. Martyn Stallyon will be a huge star as he's just a delight to watch in the ring. Also Sammii Jayne and Debbie Sharpe in SWE are better and better every time I see them perform.



4. What are your Top Three matches of all time and why?


This is the hardest question you've asked by far. 

Edge vs Mick Foley - WrestleMania 22
The match was violent and brought Edge to the big time. It was Mick Foley's WrestleMania moment also so it made it extra special. With the current PG environment it's almost guaranteed that we'll never see anything this brutal in WWE again.



Bete Noire vs "Crazy" Mary Dobson - ICW Luke...Who's Yer Da?
I do love matches that make me audibly shout OH MY GOD and this did just that. Hardcore, crazy and amazing risks that these two took. It's on YouTube so I would tell everyone to check this out and they would not be disappointed.



Shane McMahon vs Kurt Angle - King of the Ring 2001
For someone who had very little training, Shane McMahon was brilliant in the ring and putting him in there with a technical machine, the perfect wrestler in Kurt Angle this was always going to be great. Nothing about this match disappointed me.



5. Where can our readers find your work and what have you got coming up?

- I'm everywhere are the moment, YouTube at youtube.com/VoiceOfOSW, Twitter @VoiceOfOSW and Facebook at facebook.com/OSWtv. I'll also be popping up on Scottish Wrestling Central doing reviews for shows that I attend. Most exciting of all is I've been given the chance to help promote PBW Rock N Wrestle 2 at The Ironworks, Inverness on March 21st which will have Jay Lethal, Sonjay Dutt, Joe E Legend, Grado and Jack Jester on the show to name just a few stars and will have music preformed by Toby Michael's Rolling Damned so worth grabbing a ticket while you still can!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'd like to thank Billy for allowing us this interview, now go and check out OSWtv!

Next time: Attitude Era Review's Lewis Ogden.

No comments:

Post a Comment