Wednesday 5 February 2014

Five Questions With... Pete Stevens

After last week's interview with Zach Gowen, as well as the special interview with Christoper Daniels, this week see's Brit-Wres referee Pete Stevens take centre stage. #FiveQuestionsWith...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Pete Stevens
Age: 27
Hometown: West Bromwich
Known For: Being a British professional wrestling referee.





1. When did you first get into wrestling and what was the drew you to the sport? 


I'll start my answer to this with the latter part of the question if I may. To define a specific thing, person or moment that drew me to the sport of pro wrestling is difficult as I have been a wrestling fan for as long as I can remember. Growing up in a hard industrial town right opposite a industrial estate my early years can
be hazy and unfulfilled. I do however always remember the moments I would see wrestling regardless of where I was or what we were doing. Two moments that stand out the most was when Bret Hart defended the WWF championship against Virgil and when Owen Hart brought out Yokozuna as his partner against the Smoking Gunns. Those two moments stick out for me as early memories.

As for my involvement, this takes me back 12 years when I was 15 years old. Myself and a friend at school Paul Phipps went to a local show round the corner from the high school we both went to. The show's main event was Jonny Storm & Jody Fleish. After the show we met with the promoter and we exchanged details then we attended training. For Paul that journey ended suddenly, but for me it was my life on and off for the past 12 years.



2. As a referee, how involved would you be in a match and how much would you know beforehand?


This is always a question which I have to take care in how I word my answer based around how proud I was of the work I did every time I stepped in the ring to officiate a bout. I've had various degrees of involvement over the years. Most of the time it depends on the need of the bout and the experience of the people in the ring. I've called matches where all I've been told was the finish to the contest and then that's it.

On the flip side of that I've been in the ring with the guys who were less than polished to say the least and they either haven't got the crowd on side for the match or they have lost their next spots and I have had to call an audible as it were and call a few spots to bring them back to life or in some situations finish the match for them spot for spot so it really depends from one match to the next.

The last statement is sometimes difficult for people to comprehend but what can be missed about refs is that we are just as knowledgeable in the workings of a match from point A to point B but we just don't bump.... unless called upon but we can get onto that later!

3. Who were your favourite people to work with in the business and was there anyone who wasn't so easy to work with?


Favourite people? I don't have many favourites in this business, wasn't you told? No, seriously I have far too many to mention. It was a pleasure to me to ref a good number of Sami Callihan's matches before I departed from FCP & he left to join WWE. On the same WWE route El Generico (Sami Zayn) was a sweetheart both times we worked together again before he left for the WWE.

On this side of the shore I must say Ryan Smile mostly, I'm biased, however as he is one of my best friends away from wrestling. Seeing Pete England develop from a 14 year old Rookie into a 18 year old international star has been a delight. Same with MK McKinnan. He was bouncing around AWW when I met him and he made me the only ref he wanted to call his matches!

Someone I discovered on my way out of a promotion who I wish I could of worked with more is Tyler Bate. That kid when the time is right take not just UK wrestling but the WORLD by storm. Everything I have predicted about that guy right back to the first time I saw him training way ahead of the pack in a small unit about 2 years ago has come to fruition. I'm so proud of him.

As for not being easy to work with I wouldn't like to say. People who know me and know from previous interviews I've done can name the names for me but this business is like everything else in life, you work
well with some people but not others. I didn't get along with one particular import who as mentioned before will remain nameless but my concussion was his fault not mine so does that count as not being easy to work with as I cant remember it to be honest?



4. What are your Top Three matches of all time and why?


This is easy. Number 1 is Terry Funk Vs Ric Flair I Quit Match at Clash of The Champions 1989. This match gave you everything, Drama, Intensity, Compassion, Concern, Outrage & anger from the pit of your stomach and at the heart of it a match well worked by two of the best physiologists this business ever created.

Number 2 is American Badass Undertaker Vs Triple H Wrestlemania 17. What more needs to be said? Equally as good as the second to matches recently at Wrestlemania but both guys were quicker, fitter & could both work hard without having to think about the next day.

I'll use this one for a modern match but I won't actually name one. I want to go on record here and use match 3 like a WWE 2K14 CAW slot. One slot for 3 attires. Match Three's slot is going to any one of William Regal's matches from NXT in 2013. Amazing. He has still got it!



5. If you could referee a dream match, what would it be?


My dream matches change every day. I always wanted to be a WWE official for Wrestlemania 30 but that's not happening. My Dream match would most likely be Triple H Vs "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair for The NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship & Belt. I'd love to put Terry Funk in there but Triple H Vs Terry Funk isn't something I can say I have given much consideration too.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'd like to thank Pete for this interview and his time.

Next Time: Former TNA wrestlers The Blossom Twins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment